Thursday, June 18, 2015

Advice




"Our life is frittered away by detail… Simplify, simplify, simplify!" - Henry David Thoreau

Great advice from a man who was anything but simple. I've had an audio book CD set of Thoreau's "Walden" in my car for several years. I'll pop in a cd every now and then.  It's really good stuff. He sure gives you a lot to think about. I find myself pausing it after just a few paragraphs because it's so much to process. 

I really need to take his advice. Sometimes enough is enough already.

-Peace
Matt


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recent post(s). Life is more simple and complex than it's likely ever been. Simple because technology has put answers and resources at our fingertips. Complex because what are we really learning other than to rely on that technology? If it fails. do we? How many would make it naked in the forest? Could our country win a war if all computer systems and the like were lost? What are video games, Ipads and television really teaching when used in excess? Marketing strategies have gone out of control. It's as hard as you want it to be to buy anything because of the options, down to deodorant and toothpaste. If you're an impulse shopper, it's even worse. I think life is easiest when I quit trying to play God and instead pray to Him about it. "Jesus, please make me a saint" coupled with a Hail Mary every morning on the drive to work does wonders for that day. When I forget to pray even one morning, it's a long day. "Be still and know that I am God" for 10 minutes a day outside by yourself sure does a lot for the spiritual condition as well. Simplify, simplify, simplify. Scott Ottoson comes to mind when I hear those words. I guess life is ultimately as hard as we allow it to be. Keep it simple.

MJMiller said...

Amen brother. I DO need to pray more. It's easy to forget to let go and leave it with Him.