Thursday, October 25, 2007
Monday, October 22, 2007
Thursday, October 18, 2007
My new nephew, Joseph Paul (JP) is getting baptized into the Catholic Church on Sunday, in Indiana. I am his Godfather. I am a good, practicing Catholic. I mean I go to church most Sundays, I love and trust God, and I pray as often as I do. I don't exactly know what being a Godfather really means, but I pray I am up to the task. When I look it up, I see:
- it is their duty to make a profession of faith during the baptismal ceremony for the one to be baptized, when necessary; and thereafter, to assume perpetual guardianship over the baptized and instruct them in the obligations of the Christian life, to insure fulfilment of baptismal vows. This obligation binds only when parents neglect to do their duty or die
- A godparent must have his eyes fixed on the Lord, believing that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life
- He must have a special interest in the spiritual growth of the child
- can be trusted to maintain a long term relationship with the child
- is a practicing Catholic with a deep faith
- is spiritual in his words and actions
- has a high moral character
- would be an exemplary model role
Pray for JP tonight. May he always walk with Jesus.
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Had he lived, today would have been Robby's 13th birthday. I went to his grave a couple of days ago. It appears to me that his coffin has caved in. There is a good sized sink hole right above his grave. It does not extend over the graves on either side of him, just his. I can't remember for sure, but I think that when he was buried they put his coffin in a wood box instead of a vault (are those vaults made from concrete or cast iron?). Anyone else remember? I think the wood has rot through and the ground caved in. Anyway, Happy Birthday Robby.
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Tuesday, October 02, 2007
Some days being a parent is a real bitch.
Some days I feel like an asshole.
Madeline and I picked a pumpkin out of the garden and carved it up tonight.
This weekend is the yearly campout with the Troutslayers. It's our third quarter board meeting. I'm ready for some down time, away from the children. Vegas didn't count, that place sucks. I'm ready for three days outside.
Have a good week