Thursday, October 18, 2007

Original Sin



My new nephew, Joseph Paul (JP) is getting baptized into the Catholic Church on Sunday, in Indiana. I am his Godfather. I am a good, practicing Catholic. I mean I go to church most Sundays, I love and trust God, and I pray as often as I do. I don't exactly know what being a Godfather really means, but I pray I am up to the task. When I look it up, I see:
  • it is their duty to make a profession of faith during the baptismal ceremony for the one to be baptized, when necessary; and thereafter, to assume perpetual guardianship over the baptized and instruct them in the obligations of the Christian life, to insure fulfilment of baptismal vows. This obligation binds only when parents neglect to do their duty or die
  • A godparent must have his eyes fixed on the Lord, believing that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life
  • He must have a special interest in the spiritual growth of the child
  • can be trusted to maintain a long term relationship with the child
  • is a practicing Catholic with a deep faith
  • is spiritual in his words and actions
  • has a high moral character
  • would be an exemplary model role
Pray for JP tonight. May he always walk with Jesus.
Peace-
Matt

No comments: