Thursday, March 15, 2007

Instinct






It's my belief that every man has an inherent need to explore his world. This is instinctive to him and he can not change that. It's because he is a mammal. He must wander and hunt.


Every year about this time, everything starts to get to me. The kids, my job, my house, yes, even my wonderful wife. I feel this urge to escape it all. Eleven years ago, three friends and I had a discussion about this very thing. We decided to do something about it. We packed our fishing gear and headed to southern Missouri for a few days. Fifteen days from now we begin our trip down for our eleventh annual trip. The trip has grown from the original four to a group of six. It has also grown from a three day weekend to a five night vacation. Things are starting to get to me again. I can feel the urge to escape building inside me daily. Sometimes 15 days can feel like a million.


This week has been nice and warm. All of the snow is gone. The rivers are full and the fields are flooded. The photos I've posted tonight are more of the meltdown.


I am taking Abby and Madeline out camping this weekend. We are going with my sister, her husband, and their son (Tina, George, and Jordan). I've been waiting for the snow to melt so that I could pull my camper out of the backyard and park it in the driveway, to ready it for camping. Well, Tuesday night, I tried to do just that. I got the van backed through the yard part way and decided that the ground was just too soft. Too late, I was stuck. After an hour of pushing & digging, a friendly neighbor with a giant four wheel drive finally came over and pulled me out. I always bitch about the "rednecks" and their loud trucks running down the streets here in Cambridge. Irony is funny sometimes.


Have a great weekend.


Peace-
Matt

No comments: